Tuesday, September 15, 2009

DVD Rundown: It's About Knowing When to Push The Unborn

KNOWING

It’s always a shame when you see a movie that displays interesting concepts, but just fails in its execution. That’s the case with Knowing. I really like the ideas that this movie set forth, but it was so hampered by poor acting and directing, that it is more frustrating than enjoyable. I crushed this movie when I first reviewed it (check that out in the link below), but time seems to have dulled my hatred. I remember hating it in theaters, but I don’t exactly remember why. What I do remember is that the last 10 minutes were pretty awesome. FINAL VERDICT- Not a good movie by any standards, but worth a rental if you’re bored or if you like watching Nic Cage’s horrible acting. (Full Knowing review here.)

PUSH

Here’s another movie that has interesting ideas, but is just poorly put together. This is also a movie that got worse the more I thought about it. It’s hard for me to believe that people could mess up super-humans this badly, but that’s the case. Aside from some nice cinematography and some cool set pieces, there is really nothing enjoyable about Push. A movie like this should be fun, and it was anything but that. FINAL VERDICT- Skip it. (Full review of Push here.)

THE UNBORN

I had really high hopes about this film when I first heard about it. Not only was it done by David S. Goyer (a man with strong connections to both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight), it looked to be a brutally graphic and scary film. It also boasted a cast of Odette Yustman (who I really liked in Cloverfield), Gary Oldman, and Idris Elba. But then I learned that Cam Gigandet was in it, and that Goyer was also tied to Blade Trinity and Jumper, and that the film would be rated PG-13, and I lost all interest. The Unborn was really a painfully brutal movie to sit though. Complete garbage from beginning to end. Not even a stupid horror film that you can laugh at. FINAL VERDICT- Don’t waste your money or your time on this one. Just google the screencaps of Yustman and you’ll see the only part of the movie worth seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment